The Traill County Courthouse in Hillsboro, ND was originally designed in 1905 and is listed on the National Historic Registry. Modifications to the courthouse were made in 1986 to add a rear entrance and elevator within the existing courthouse footprint, but with nearly 30 years of operation, the elevator was in poor condition and did not meet modern accessibility guidelines.
Klein McCarthy Architects designed an exterior addition that provides an accessible elevator and stair connecting all levels of the courthouse. Careful consideration was taken to preserve the integrity of the original design and retain existing interior spaces. The addition met Historical Society requirements by utilizes matching brick and cast stone to harmonize with the rhythm and color of the existing facade.